MPCAC – Master’s in Psychology and Counseling Accreditation Council
The mission of the Master’s in Psychology and Counseling Accreditation Council (MPCAC) is to accredit academic programs in psychology and counseling, which promote training in the scientific practice of professional psychology and counseling at the master’s level. Although programs may vary in the models of training and professional development utilized, a commitment to science-based training in all aspects of psychology and counseling is emphasized. Also, of utmost importance, is the goal of providing services that are culturally responsive to the people who receive professional services and the public at large.
MPCAC objectives are as follows:
- To promote high standards of master’s level preparation in scientifically based psychology and counseling training programs that integrate science and practice as a goal for both practitioners and scientists working in applied areas
- To assist faculty, staff, and administration in institutions of higher education in accessing resources and planning that support desirable change
- To promote continuing review, evaluation and improvement of existing programs of scientifically based psychology and counseling training programs utilizing measurable outcome criteria
- To encourage experimentation and innovation designed to improve psychology and counseling programs with the ultimate goal of enhancing the status of the science and professions of psychology and counseling, and the application of services
- To cooperate with other agencies in promoting quality preparation for master’s level psychologists and counselors who will work in a variety of settings in our society.
MPCAC accredited programs should include notice of their accreditation status on their websites and in any materials made available to the public. The following wording is appropriate:
The ________ program is accredited by the Master’s in Psychology and Counseling Accreditation Council (MPCAC) for the period ________(DATE OF INITIAL ACCREDITATION) through ________ (DATE OF ACCREDITATION EXPIRATION).